All ACtors Exposed
<< Go Back
are available at
They currently feature
over 165,000 Nude Pics,
Biographies, Video Clips,
Articles, and Movie Reviews
of famous stars.
Actresses who appeared
with Selena on screen:
|Selena Biography and Filmography
Birthday: April 16, 1971
Birth Place: Lake Jackson, Texas, USA
Height: 5' 5"
is a complete filmography (list of movies he's appeared in)
If you have any corrections or additions, please email
We'd also be interested in any trivia or other information you have.
Selena was born in Lake Jackson, Texas, a suburb of Houston, to Abraham and Marcella Quintanilla. Abraham opened a Mexican restaurant in Lake Jackson. Selena was 9 years old when her father discovered her talent for singing. He formed a band consisting of Selena on vocals, her brother AB on bass, and her sister Suzette on drums. The group called Los Dinos, after a band Abraham was a member of in the 1950s and 1960s, frequently performed at the restaurant. In 1981 the family moved to Corpus Christi where Abraham started booking his band out for weddings and parties. This became their way of life. Selena and Los Dino's big break came in 1987, when the then 15 year old Selena won the Tejano Music Award for Female Entertainer of the Year. That award led Selena to a major record label contract with Capitol Records and six very successful albums. By 1992 Selena had branched out and launched her clothing line and married her guitarist, Chris Perez. In 1994, she was nominated and won her first Grammy for Best Mexican-American Album, Selena Live! That same year she opened her first boutique in Corpus Christi, Texas. Then on March 31, 1995 Selena was murdered by Yolanda Saldivar, her friend and president of her fan club.
- Listed in "People Weekly"s "Most Intriguing People" list. (December 25, 1995/January 1, 1996 issue)
- She drove a red porsche
- Had a shoe collection
- Lived next door to her parents
- Her favorite color was purple
- Set an attendance-record on the Houston Astrodome on a Sunday-matinee show. She had 9 productions in total (9 CDs)
- She designed her own clothes
- Had two boutiques, one in San Antonio and one in Corpus Christi
- Won a Grammy in 1994
- Following the weeks after Selena's death, "People" magazine released a commemorative issue covering Selena's death, one in English and the other in Spanish. Within a matter of days after it first appeared on the newsstand, the Spanish-language edition sold out everyhwere, that "People" had to go into 6 more reprint sessions. The mass hysteria for Selena memorabilia was so intense, that after six successful reprints of the Spanish-issue, "People" decided to release a Spanish-language edition of their magazine, "People en Espanol" which became a popular selling magazine.
- She was working on her first English album at the time she was killed. She was due in the studio the day of the murder.
- Measurements: 34 1/2 -23 1/2- 36 (Source: Celebrity Sleuth magazine)
- Attended Oran M. Roberts Elementary School.
- Attended West Oso Junior High in Corpus Christi, Texas until she was 13.
- Liked to eat at Pizza Hut. She would usually ordered double pepperoni pizza.
- Her marriage took place in Nueces County Court where they were married by the Justice of Peace, Ben Ciarza Jr.
- She was born in Freeport Community Hospital in Brazosport, Texas.
- Took correspondence classes at American School in Chicago. Graduated with a GED.
- Served as the spokesperson for Coca-Cola, bep corporation (Agree Shampoo), AT&T (phone service), and Southwestern Bell (call notes voice-mail system).
- Was the first Tejano artist to make Billboard's Latin Top 200 List of All Time Best Selling Records.
- Weighed 5 1bs. and 10 1/2oz. at birth.
- Before her death, Selena and Chris were planning to renew their vows on their 5th anniversary since they didn't have a real wedding.
- Her favorite restaurant was Olive Garden. She once paid a tab in a restaurant for an old woman who was dining alone. She felt sorry for the woman and gave her cake to take home.
- Her primary language was English, but later learned Spanish.
- Had 5 dogs: a husky, a black pomeranian named Pebbles, two mastiffs named Winny and Taylor, and two miniature pinchers named Julia and Andre. She also shared a pet snake with Chris.
- Favorite drink was Coke.
- Favorite lip color was the now discontinued "Brick" from Chanel.
- She was known as the Queen of Tejano Music.
- Yolanda Saldivar, her murderer, always maintained the shooting was accidental. Nevertheless on October 23, 1995 she was found guilty of first- degree murder and sentenced to life in prison.
- Likes white roses.
- While growing up, she had a chicken named April.
- Took college correspondance courses at Pacific Western University in California.
- Was in the process of building a new home containing 10 bedrooms to be located in the lush "King Estates" south of Corpus Christi, overlooking Oso Creek near Corpus Christi Botanic Garden.
- Her funeral took place on April 3, 1995 at the Memorial Coliseum, a day after it would have been her third anniversary of her marriage to Chris.
- After her death, a public viewing took place in Bayfront Plaza Convention, where over 30,000-50,000 mourners attended to pay their respects for the late Tejano star.
- Is buried at the Seaside Memorial Park next to a Mesquite tree.
- Her first car, a BMW, was stolen and dumped into the ocean.
- Loved tobogganing, parasailing, and motorcycle riding.
- Was one of the three women featured in an article in "Texas Monthly" September 1994 issue titled "20 Texans You Need to Know".
- Began designing clothes at age 10 or 11
- Originally 13 songs were written for the album "Dreaming of You", but only 4 songs were recorded before her death.
- "Dreaming of You" went multi-platinum by selling over 5,000,000 copies surpassing Mariah Carey's sales records.
- Has sold approximately 20,000,000 albums in 6 years.
- "Ven Conmigo" was the first Tejano album ever to go Gold.
- Was named "Female Artist of The Year" for 9 years in a row, at the Tejano Music Awards.
- Was the first recording artist to place five Spanish language albums simultaneously on the Billboard 200.
- Her favorite Mexican restaurant was the Rosita's.
- Her father is Mexican-American, Texas native and her mother is a Mexican- American/Cherokee Indian from Washington.
- Her parents married on June 8, 1963.
- Was planning to work on her next Tejano album and go on tour in later '95 before her tragic death.
- Wore contacts.
- Had been accepted to the Louisiana State University.
- Sang at her father's restaurant "Papa Gayo's" in 1980.
- 7 number 1 singles: 'Buenos Amigos' which was at the top for a week, 'Dondequiera Que Estes' which was at the top for 6 weeks, 'Amor Prohibido' which topped for 9 weeks, 'Bidi Bidi Bom Bom' which topped for 4 weeks, 'No Me Queda Mas' which was number 1 for 7 weeks, 'Fotos Y Recuerdos' which was number 1 for 7 weeks, and 'Tu Solo Tu', the biggest hit of her career with 10 weeks at the top.
- "Dreaming Of You" was certified 3x platinum by selling 3,000,000 copies.
- In 1994, Coca Cola made a special Coke bottle in honor of Selena's 5 years with them.
- Once went bungee-jumping on a dare.
- The Hardrock Cafe has a Selena star on the sidewalk in front of the restaurant, she attended the opening as a celebrity in January 1995.
- The song "Amor Prohibido" was based on her grandparents.
- Was in the 1999 Guinness Book of Records as "Most Dominating Artist".
- Was known as the Tex-Mex Madonna (without all the controversy).
- Was named by Billboard Magazine 2000 as Best Selling "Latin Artist of the Decade" selling 18,000,000 albums during that time.
- Was nominated for a second Grammy for her album "Amor Prohibido".
- Received "Key of the City" in Houston on April 16, 1994. It was proclaimed Selena Day.
- Shared the same birthday with basketball star Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and actor Martin Lawrence.
- In the months following her death, more than 600 baby girls throughout south Texas were named after Selena. They will graduate from high school in the year 2013.
- Watched Soul Train to practice new dance moves.
- Loved the music of Gloria Estefan, Madonna, Whitney Houston, Mariah Carey, Luis Enrique, The Barrio Boys, Emilio, Roberto Pulido, La Mafia, Amanda Miguel, Rocio Durcal, and Mexican singers Maria Mendoza, Lola Beltran, and Lucha Villa .
- As a child, she loved Donna Summer, R&B duo "A Taste of Honey", and rock group Air Supply.
- Was a huge fan of Bonnie Raitt, Garth Brooks and Janet Jackson.
- On her 1985 appearance on the Johnny Canales Show (a sort of Chicano Ed Sullivan), she asked to be interviewed in English. By the end of her life, Selena spoke the language fluently.
- In April 1994, she released Amor Prohibido, her last album. It included the hit singles "Bidi Bidi Bom Bom" and the reworked Pretenders' song "Fotos y Recuerdos." In May, while promoting the album, Selena performed at Randy's Rodeo in San Antonio, where 16 years earlier the Sex Pistols had played their second-to-last concert. Amor Prohibido went triple platinum by the end of the year.
- In September 1994 she played Mexico City, where front-page stories proclaimed her "La Reina Tejana."
- Her 1994 concert in Houston's Astrodome took place in front of 61,000 fans, the largest crowd in Tejano music history, and in Astrodome history second only to Garth Brooks. After her death the self-designed purple jumpsuit she wore at the record-setting concert was donated to the Smithsonian.
- The song 'No Me Queda Más' was written by Ricky Vela about Suzette. He has a crush on her, but she met her now husband Billy, and that's when he wrote the song.
- Favorite perfume was Boucheron.
- When Marcela was pregnant with Selena, her parents were convinced they were having a boy. The name they had chosen was Marc Anthony. Selena's name was chosen when her mother's roommate had chosen that name for a girl she was gonna have, but she had a boy, thus Selena's name was born.
- Her final performance was March 19, 1995 in Chicago.
- Mayor of Corpus Christi proclaimed March 31, 2005, as "Selena - A Day of Remembrance" honoring the 10th anniversary of her death.