All ACtors Exposed
<< Go Back
are available at
They currently feature
over 165,000 Nude Pics,
Biographies, Video Clips,
Articles, and Movie Reviews
of famous stars.
Actresses who appeared
with Kate Winslet on screen:
|Kate Winslet Biography and Filmography
Birthday: October 5, 1975
Birth Place: Reading, Berkshire, England, UK
Height: 5' 6"
is a complete filmography (list of movies he's appeared in)
for Kate Winslet.
If you have any corrections or additions, please email
We'd also be interested in any trivia or other information you have.
Ask Kate Winslet what she liked about any of her characters, and the word "ballsy" is bound to pop up at least once. The British actress has made a point of eschewing straightforward pretty-girl parts in favor of more devilish damsels; as a result, she's built an eclectic resume; that runs the gamut from Shakespearean tragedy to modern-day mysticism and erotica.Born into a family of thespians - parents Roger and Sally were both stage actors, maternal grandparents Oliver and Linda Bridges ran the Reading Repertory Theatre, and uncle Robert Bridges was a fixture in London's West End theatre district - Kate came into her talent at an early age. She scored her first professional gig at 11, dancing opposite the Honey Monster in a commercial for a kids' cereal. She started acting lessons around the same time, which led to formal training at a performing arts high school. Over the next few years she appeared on stage regularly and landed a few bit parts in sitcoms. Her first big break came at age 17, when she was cast as an obsessive adolescent in Heavenly Creatures (1994). The film, based on the true story of two fantasy-gripped girls who commit a brutal murder, received modest distribution but was roundly praised by critics.Still a relative unknown, Winslet attended a cattle call audition the next year for Ang Lee's Sense and Sensibility (1995). She made an immediate impression on the film's star, Emma Thompson, and beat out more than a hundred other hopefuls for the part of plucky Marianne Dashwood. Her efforts were rewarded with both a British Academy Award and an Oscar nomination for Best Supporting Actress. Winslet followed up with two more period pieces, playing the rebellious heroine in Jude (1996) and Ophelia in Kenneth Branagh's Hamlet (1996).The role that transformed Winslet from art house attraction to international star was Rose DeWitt Bukater, the passionate, rosy-cheeked aristocrat in James Cameron's Titanic (1997). Young girls the world over both idolized and identified with Winslet, swooning over all that face time opposite heartthrob Leonardo DiCaprio and noting her refreshingly healthy, un-emaciated physique. Winslet's performance also garnered a Best Actress nomination, making her the youngest actress to ever receive two Academy nods.After the swell of unexpected attention surrounding Titanic (1997), Winslet was eager to retreat into independent projects. Rumor has it that she turned down the lead roles in both Shakespeare in Love (1998) and Anna and the King (1999) in order to play adventurous soul searchers in Hideous Kinky (1998) and Holy Smoke (1999). The former cast her as a young single mother traveling through 1960s Morocco with her daughters in tow; the latter, as a zealous follower of a guru tricked into a "deprogramming" session in the Australian outback. The next year found her back in period dress as the Marquis de Sade's chambermaid and accomplice in Quills (2000). Kate holds the distinction of being the youngest actor ever honored with four Academy Award nominations (she received her fourth at age 29.)Off camera, Winslet is known for her mischievous pranks and familial devotion. She has two sisters, Anna Winslet and Beth Winslet (both actresses), and a brother, Joss. In 1998 she married James Threapleton, whom she met on the set of Hideous Kinky (1998); the pair had a daughter, Mia, in October of 2000. They divorced in 2001. She later married director Sam Mendes in 2003 and has since given birth to their son Joe.
- Daughter Mia was born (in England) on the 12th October 2000, weighing in at 8 pounds 9 ounces.
- Kate met husband, James Threapleton, on the set of her movie Hideous Kinky (1998), where he was working as an assistant director.
- Won a Grammy for Best Spoken Word Album for Children (2000).
- Turned down the Gwyneth Paltrow role in Shakespeare in Love (1998) and the Jodie Foster role in Anna and the King (1999).
- Has very large feet and wears size 11 shoes.
- At age 11 began attending the acting school Redroofs in Maidenhead, England, UK.
- Dated Rufus Sewell.
- Sister of Anna Winslet and Beth Winslet.
- The youngest actress ever to be nominated for two Academy Awards (for Sense and Sensibility (1995) and Titanic (1997)). 
- Dated Stephen Tredre. [1991-1995]
- Her first acting job was dancing with the Honey Monster in a commercial for Sugar Puffs cereal.
- Nominated for Best Supporting Actress, Manchester Evening News Award for her role in "What the Butler Saw."
- Chosen by People (USA) magazine as one of the 50 most beautiful people in the world. 
- Won Best British Actress, Empire Magazine Awards for Heavenly Creatures (1994).
- Younger brother, Joss.
- Parents: Roger Winslet (actor) and Sally Bridges-Winslet.
- After her first success in the film Heavenly Creatures (1994) a reviewer predicted that she would always be associated with that character, and would never be a big star.
- Recorded a song for the soundtrack for the movie Christmas Carol: The Movie (2001). Producers were so impressed at her efforts they have decided to release the ballad - called "What If?" - as a single. It reached the top ten in the UK. [June 2001]
- Announced that she and husband James Threapleton are splitting up. [3 September 2001]
- [November 2001] Confirms that she is dating director Sam Mendes.
- Purchased a million (US) home in London with boyfriend (later husband) Sam Mendes.
- Holds a unique position in Academy Awards history: only twice have two actresses been nominated for playing the same role in the same film. The first was Gloria Stuart and Kate in Titanic (1997). The second was Judi Dench and Kate in Iris (2001/I).
- Married director Sam Mendes in a private ceremony whilst on holiday in the West Indies in May, 2003.
- Daughter Mia's name is Italian for "mine".
- Has sung in 5 of her films
- Prefers to wear boots rather than ordinary shoes because it makes her feel that her feet are "firmly on the ground."
- Missed the premiere of Titanic (1997) because she was attending the funeral of close friend and former boyfriend, Stephen Tredre.
- Son, Joe Alfie Winslet Mendes, was born on December 22, 2003, in New York, and weighed 7 pounds and 13 ounces.
- Resides in both London, England and New York City, America.
- Has a nephew, George.
- Is residing in New York City while she and husband Sam Mendes work on separate projects. After the projects are finished, they will go back home to England. 
- Sprained her ankle on the set of Romance & Cigarettes (2005) in May 2004.
- She sold her North London home in Belsize Park to Gwyneth Paltrow and Chris Martin.
- Was considered for the role of Bridget in Bridget Jones's Diary (2001) but it was then decided she was too young to portray the role.
- On the day she had to film the straightjacket scene in Hamlet (1996), she learned she had won the role of Rose in Titanic (1997).
- While serving as host of "Saturday Night Live" (1975) one week after Ashlee Simpson's "recorded song malfunction," she opened the show by singing and dancing live.
- Bust size 1996 - 34C
- Born in the same year and on the same day as Parminder Nagra.
- Is the first actress to receive four Oscar nominations before turning 30.
- Recently bought a home in New York City. Her main home, however, is in Cotswolds, England.
- Was born in the same hospital as her husband, Sam Mendes.
- Filmed her 2005 American Express commercial in Camden Town, London, England.
- First screen kiss was with Melanie Lynskey in Heavenly Creatures (1994).
- Her performance as Clementine Kruczynski in Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004) is ranked #81 on Premiere Magazine's 100 Greatest Performances of All Time (2006).
- Her daughter Mia had to be delivered by Cesearian section which made Kate feel she hadn't given birth properly. She only admitted to it after giving birth to her son Joe (who had been delivered naturally)
- Was offered the role of Eowyn in The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (2002)