All ACtors Exposed
<< Go Back
are available at
They currently feature
over 165,000 Nude Pics,
Biographies, Video Clips,
Articles, and Movie Reviews
of famous stars.
Actresses who appeared
with Dakota Fanning on screen:
|Dakota Fanning Biography and Filmography
Birthday: February 23, 1994
Birth Place: Conyers, Georgia, USA
Height: 5' 1"
is a complete filmography (list of movies he's appeared in)
for Dakota Fanning.
If you have any corrections or additions, please email
We'd also be interested in any trivia or other information you have.
Kicking off an impressive career in front of the camera at the tender age of five, it was a mere three years later that actress Dakota Fanning would become the youngest person ever to be nominated for a Screen Actor's Guild Award for her role in the Sean Penn drama I Am Sam. She subsequently appeared in such efforts as Sweet Home Alabama (2002) and director Steven Spielberg's sci-fi miniseries Taken. A Conyers, GA, native whose acting abilities became apparent when, at the age of three, she acted out the entire process of pregnancy and childbirth (with her younger sister Elle substituting for the newborn baby) to her amused parents. Advised by an agent to take their daughter to Los Angeles, it wasn't long before young Fanning was cast in a commercial for Tide detergent. Television appearances in ER and Ally McBeal were quick to follow, and in 2001 she made her feature debut in the comedy Tomcats. Though the film was only seen by an unlucky few, her role in the same year's I Am Sam was a wide release that found the adorable young starlet a solid fan base. Later alternating between television and film with features such as Trapped and roles on such high-profile series as Spin City and Malcolm in the Middle, her part opposite Brittany Murphy in the 2003 comedy Uptown Girls found the precocious youngster playing well off of her older co-star. In 2003 Fanning could be spotted in The Cat in the Hat, and it wasn't long before she was gearing up to appear alongside Denzel Washington and Christopher Walken in the Tony Scott thriller Man on Fire.2005 would prove to be Fanning's busiest year yet, with her taking on prominent roles in no less than five high-profile projects. First up, she took a creepy turn opposite Robert DeNiro in the horror flick Hide and Seek. The ensemble drama Nine Lives and the horse-racing picture Dreamer followed, but Fanning's biggest film of the year was undoubtedly Stephen Spielberg's big-budget remake of War of the Worlds.
- Learned to read at age 2.
- At the age of 8, she became the youngest person to be nominated for a Screen Actors Guild Award, for her supporting performance in I Am Sam (2001).
- When she received the Best Young Actor/Actress award from the Broadcast Film Critics Association for her performance in I Am Sam (2001), she was too short to reach the microphone to give her acceptance speech. Presenter Orlando Bloom held her up to the mike for the duration of her speech, which turned out to be quite long.
- She began her acting career at 5 when she was picked for a Tide commercial
- Older sister of Elle Fanning.
- Her father named her Dakota, her mother named her Hannah. She then was named Hannah Dakota Fanning.
- Dakota is one of 14 grandchildren.
- Parents: Joy and Steve Fanning.
- Her favourite films include Gone with the Wind (1939), Titanic (1997) and Steel Magnolias (1989).
- Collects dolls.
- Looks up to Meryl Streep and Hilary Swank, "not just because they're great actresses, but because they are amazing people".
- Her last name, "Fanning" is of Irish origin, and she is also of half German descent
- She donated many signed items to Rocky Stone to be given away as prizes in a Dakota Fanning Contest to benefit less fortunate kids as part of the Toy Mountain Campaign 2005 and Toy Mountain Campaign 2006.
- First time she visited England was on the 19th June 2005 with Tom Cruise, to attend the premiere of War of the Worlds (2005) at London's Leicester Square.
- Loves to knit & has knitted scarfs for Tom Cruise, Robert De Niro and Denzel Washington
- For the 'sad' scenes in I Am Sam (2001), she thought of her pet goldfish, Flounder, dying.
- Carries a book of baby names with her wherever she goes.
- Has been to Mexico, New Zeland, Japan, Australia, England and France
- Is a member of the Red Cross
- On her eleventh birthday, Tom Cruise gave her a cell phone
- Is friends with Daveigh Chase
- She can play the violin.
- She knitted scarves for Steven Spielberg and Tim Robbins.
- Was listed as a potential nominee on the 2004 Razzie Award nominating ballot. She was suggested in the Worst Supporting Actress category for her role in The Cat in the Hat (2003). She was also suggested in the Worst Screen Couple couple category with co-star Spencer Breslin in the The Cat in the Hat (2003). She failed to receive either nomination.
- Is a member of the Girl Scouts USA, and her sister Elle Fanning is a Brownie.
- Is learning to speak French. She also learned to speak some Spanish for her role in Man on Fire (2004).
- Missed the premiere of Lilo & Stitch 2: Stitch Has a Glitch (2005) (V) to go to Mexico whilst her sister (Elle Fanning) filmed Babel (2006).
- Skipped kindergarten and went straight to first grade at the age of 4.
- Learned how to ride a race horse for Dreamer: Inspired by a True Story (2005).
- After filming of Dreamer: Inspired by a True Story (2005) wrapped, Kurt Russell gave her a horse named Goldie.
- During the shoot of War of the Worlds (2005), Tom Cruise gave her an iPod loaded with thousands of songs.
- Is now a Girl Scout [Oct. 2005].
- After filming _Dreamer: Inspired by a True Story (2005), Kurt Russell, who plays her father, bought her a palomino horse, whom she named Goldie. Goldie lives on a ranch near Dakota's home where she can visit him often.
- Tutor is Jan Cerwonka.
- Her scene in Nine Lives (2005) was done in one take. She got to work on the movie only for one day.
- She has said she would love to be a director.
- Robert De Niro gave a doll that looked like Dakota's character in Hide and Seek (2005), with the brown hair and blue eyes- on her 10th birthday.
- Plays the piano, knits, collects dolls, ride horses and dances ballet.
- Niece of Jill Arrington.
- Invited to join AMPAS in 2006.
- Was ranked #9 in E's 50 cutest child stars all grown-up even if she still is a child.(2005)
- Was ranked #9 in E's most cutest child stars all grown-up even if she still is a child.(2005)
- Has been in three productions with her sister Elle Fanning, yet they have never shared scenes. Elle played the younger version of Dakota's characters in I Am Sam (2001) and "Taken" (2002/I) (mini), and the two girls voiced sisters in a dub for Tonari no Totoro (1988).